- The opening ceremony for the Olympics is scheduled for July 23, 2021
- NBCUniversal has announced they will air a record 7,000 hours of coverage!
- Roughly 3 in 5 US Adults are expecting to watch.
- Record coverage, does not necessarily mean record Viewership. With Olympic controversy comes speculation on actual engagement and many feel the Olympics should be postponed again.
- Athens (terrorism concerns) and Rio (Zika) both had controversy and ratings suffered.
- The position at Modus is like everything with COVID, this is different, and NBC is poised to deliver historic viewership based on consumers yearning for Sports programming – especially the emotional, competitive and elite delivery of the Olympics.
Source: NBCUniversal will air more than 7,000 hours of Olympics coverage (cnbc.com)Survey Shows High U.S. Awareness, Viewership Intent for Tokyo Olympics, but Pandemic Presents Other Concerns (morningconsult.com)