eMarketer: Why TV Ad Spend Will Fall. Sports and Political Ad Spend.
- Previous reports called for a 2% increase in TV Ad Spend for 2020. Now, experts are estimating a 22.3% – 29.3% DECLINE in TV Ad Spend first half of 2020.
- Political ad spend will be on hold in 2Q20. Candidates don’t want to be seen as being insensitive campaigning during the pandemic.
- No Sports Content. Professional leagues have cancelled or suspended season.
- Kantar estimated March Madness, the NBA playoffs and the NHL playoffs collectively accounted for about $2 billion in TV ad revenues last year.
- NBCUniversal reported advertiser commitments for the 2020 Olympics amounted to about $1.25 billion and Moffett Nathanson Research estimated losses to ESPN, ABC and TNT ~$700 million due to the NBA season cancellation.