Dear fellow direct response television experts,
How often do you hear our analytics gurus referred to as “Storytellers”? Ever? Probably not. No, these terms are usually set aside for Brand advertising campaigns that win CLIOs and ADDYs. Direct Response professionals have been telling glorious stories regarding data since 1984 – long before “big data” was even a coined phrase.
Boring? No way. Critical. We love data at Modus Direct. Data speaks the truth, but the interpretation and the presentation of that truth is where it all comes together.
There are 5 keys to successful DRTV performance storytelling:
- We want to write a novel – not a short story. This means collaborating with our clients to gather data from all media channels in order to review media in a holistic capacity. The impact television has on your business is under constant debate.
- Every new week is a new chapter. Because we report performance at least once a week, we treat each weekly report as a new chapter. An engaged advertiser can read the cost pers and can see that performance went up or down week over week. We don’t regurgitate the data. We present findings and next steps that build on your story, providing insights that are mind-blowing. Anyone can see that the “cost per” went up or down $3. But what does that mean? Why did it happen and it is even relevant to the overall story?
- The end of every chapter is the beginning of the next and should have you craving for more.
- Visuals can speak louder than words. When it’s laid out there in front you, you can see the story of your campaign and its performance clearly. It’s an eye-opener.
- It’s a Series, not one and done. Every client has lifecycles in its marketing initiatives. It is okay for one story to end and another to begin. Every success has the next edition on the horizon.
So when you think about DRTV and data analysis, think about a good book you can’t wait to dig into. Expect the story (reports) from your DRTV partner to have that same level of detail and passion inside the cover.